“An empowered organization is one in which individuals have the knowledge, skill, desire and opportunity to personally succeed in a way that leads to collective organizational success.” ― Stephen Covey, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
Pride in your work increases with freedom of choice. According to statistics, less than 1% of employees feel proud to tell others they work for an organization when the boss rarely gives them freedom of choice. However, 78% of employees feel proud to tell others about their work when the boss allows them the freedom to choose frequently.
Today’s episode will cover principles of empowerment — why most dentists want an empowered and engaged team but don’t feel confident in this quest. I’ll explain the big difference between holding your team accountable and fostering their accountability. Then, I will discuss how to make your team feel empowered and appreciate the great paradox of leadership. I will also share how Jolly Rancher and Stephen Covey’s books made a polarizing impact on my life and a personal experience on how efficiently an empowered team works during my visit with Dr. Andrew Turchin.
Tune in and find solutions to common practice issues at Prescriptions for Your Practice.
- “Too often in dentistry, we go looking for sophistication, bright shiny objects, and new and innovative wins.”
- “If you’re spending a ton of time holding your team accountable, your team will never even come close to reaching its full potential.”
- “You can only gain power by giving it away.”
- “The feeling of power or empowerment only comes from a sense of control.”
- “Personal accountability is the only true accountability.”
- “Encourage honest mistakes.”
- “The results are the only thing that pays the bill.”
- “Even if someone knows how to do their job, a lack of confidence or a fear of making mistakes will keep them from doing what needs to be done.”
- Take charge and lead the way.”
Featured on the Show:
- People: Andrew Turchin, DMD
- People: Dr. Stephen Covey
- Book: The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth: Live Them and Reach Your Potential, John Maxwell
- Book: The Team Success Handbook, Shannon Waller
- I appreciate your feedback. Let me know what you learned and loved here: [email protected].