Quotes & Notes:
- Team management and hiring are in general very stressful for dentists. You always hear “oh if it weren’t for the employees…” I feel that the problem is that we don’t create systems to make it successful. People don’t fail, systems fail.
- Creating an amazing culture is critical, and it is actually a system.
- If you want people to rally around a cause you have to give them a cause worthy of rallying around.
Hiring is a group sport in my practice, I look for chemistry. It’s important that we all like each other.
- Starbucks is a great place for an interview because you want to make this interview as natural as possible.
- One of the things that we do is in the end we always ask the same question, “If you were hired, who else in this room would you want to see hired as well?” This is how the leaders stand out.
- We try to invite about ten people at a time (to the interview process). Six or seven people come in and that creates a good room dynamic.
- When you are very clear on what you want, you sort of already know who the right person is. And yes, you make mistakes but it is a lot like dating.
I don’t make decisions in hiring, the team does. People support what they help create.
- As long as there are people sharing, everyone who wants to be successful has to be like a sponge and to really take on all of those great ideas.
If you would like to learn more from Dr. Gina Dorfman you can go to her website yapicentral.com or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also find her in dental town.