With April drawing nearer, there’s one thing that’s sure to be on all of our minds: taxes. Understanding financial reports and navigating the tax code can definitely feel daunting, especially with recent changes to consider. But thankfully we have Jonathan VanHorn back on the show to share his insight.
The founder of Dentist Metrics and the man behind the Start Your Dental Practice podcast, Jonathan has helped dental practices all over the country grow their businesses by gaining control of their finances. In this episode, he discusses common financial mistakes he sees dentists making, his advice about what to look for in an accountant, and what dentists should know for the upcoming tax season.
- “The biggest mistake I see [among dentists] is people not really understanding what a CPA does.”
- “You need to know what [your CPA is] is going to be doing for you from an accounting perspective, what they’re going to be doing for you from a tax perspective if they offer something like financial planning … et cetera, et cetera.”
- “I’m of the very strict belief that if you had the absolute best dental CPA from a technical perspective, and you had the absolute best general CPA from a technical perspective, you’d have no difference in taxes.”
- “There are general CPAs out there that would do just as well as a dental CPA, and would likely probably cost less, but the problem is, it’s really hard to figure out who those are if you don’t understand the tax code.”
- “I think if you are a single practice owner, and you try and set up a DSO for owning a single practice under the guise of qualifying for Section 199A, you’re moving from aggressive to gambling.”
- “One thing that is completely consistent in the tax courts is that the IRS does not like the reclassification of income. They are not fans of that, and they are well known for trying to cut through that like hot butter.”
- “Everything you do in front of the IRS has to have a valid business reason—it has to be substantiated in some fashion, and ‘I was gonna save more money in taxes’ is not a valid reason.”
- “I think Dental Success Network is going to be something that’s going to be a powerhouse for years to come.”
Featured on the Show:
- Jonathan VanHorn: Website | LinkedIn | Facebook | Email | Phone: (877) 265-2121, ext. 1
- Start Your Dental Practice Podcast
- Dental Success Network – Use the mentor code DM to save $50/mo.