Hello everyone, and welcome back to The Relentless Dentist! We’re excited to have you as we enter into this new era, with Karah now helming her independent show – The Leading Dentist – and me (Dave!) staying put here. We thought this would be the best way for us to continue delivering targeted, valuable content to you, our community.
Today’s episode is a fitting topic as we head in this new direction. You’ll hear my speech from last year’s Voices in Dentistry Summit in Nashville, Tennessee, titled “The Confidence Quest”. In this speech, I talk about my own lack of confidence in dental school and afterward, especially after life threw Karah and I some serious curveballs.
I also share some of the key books, quotes, and thinkers that helped me change my mindset around confidence and leadership. I cover the three hallmarks of confidence, the eulogy exercise that can save you from regret, and five steps to boost your confidence.
- The thing that has always driven me crazy about dentistry is we always see everyone’s best stuff.
- The more I learn about the psychology of success, the more I believe that 75%, more, of the and struggles in your practice, are caused by the way you’re thinking.
- This is the problem that I struggle with in dentistry, because I always see everyone’s best work: I hear about their production and not their collections or their overhead; I see their cars and their fancy houses, but I don’t know how they feel when they go to work.
- It’s super important that we define what our success looks like and head in that direction
- When you feel that resistance, lean into it; it’s “the obstacle is the way,” and when you see the obstacle, run toward it.
- It’s important that you realize that you’re worthy of your epic life.
- Building your confidence is an insurance policy
- Struggling with confidence is the limiting factor in your favorite rockstar, your favorite author, the dentists you look up to.
Featured on the Show:
- Ideal Practices – Dentistry’s Best Resources from Jayme Amos
- Thriving Dentist Podcast Show with Gary Takacs
- Tiger Supply, Inc.
- The Confident Dentist Academy
- Bennett’s Awesome Show on YouTube
- Dan Sullivan of The Strategic Coach
- Brendon Burchard
- The Jeff Bezos Regret Minimization Framework
- The Obstacle is the Way by Ryan Holiday
- The Tim Ferris Show
- The Best Self Journal